Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's all about the benjamins...

Monday April 25th is the start of week eight, the half way point. That means I’ve been through seven weeks of training, conference calls, raising awareness and fundraising. Remember, I started a week late. I’ve completed two 5ks and I am working towards a 10k with the ultimate goal being the half marathon in June.

I’ve only raised about $1000 so far. Is that good? Should I be half way to my goal by now? Should I have reached my goal by now? I don’t know. Seriously, I need help; I’m losing sleep at night. I am not a fundraiser. I didn’t like it in elementary school (when we had to do it) nor do I like it as an adult. I would send in donations to my children’s school in order to avoid the dreaded fundraiser. So I capitalized on a lesson that life has taught me, when you aren’t exceptional at something find someone that is and learn from that person. Enter my supervisor and fundraising guru, Shalayna. She has given me great ideas and she has decided that we are throwing a dance party to raise funds! I’m very excited about the party, I know we will raise money and have a good time while we are at it. We’ve found a DJ, Ruben Olivas, there will be a raffle and door prizes. It is shaping up to be a great night. The event is called Determined to Dance! The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation has launched a new website, www.illbedetermined.org, to help patients better manage their disease. It is this new website that was the inspiration for the name of the event.

I know the event will be successful, but what’s next? What else should I do to reach my fundraising goal? Do I send an email blast? Start a snail mail campaign? What would you do? I’m asking for suggestions, ideas, any thoughts or successes that any of you have had while fundraising. Have any of you actually made a donation when you’ve received a request in an email? Think about it. Even if you only donate $5, you are making a big difference in that person’s efforts. I am so grateful when I receive that email notification that a donation has been made. I’ve been sending out personal thank you notes to everyone who has made a donation online.

When I started this adventure, I thought if 750 people would donate $10, I’ll have reached my goal. If 75 people donate $100, I’ll have reached my goal. Now I’m thinking, what can I do to reach my goal? Team Challenge has become a personal journey for me. Pushing and pulling me out of my comfort zone. I know when this is through I’ll be a different person, a better person. I’m very interested in your thoughts and suggestions. Please email me at rkingham@mrt.com if you want information about Determined to Dance or if you want to give me suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment