Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Ys

Yesterday morning I awoke to the thought: I only have 6 weeks left! Then my loving husband said, "Honey, you realize that you only have 6 weeks left, right?" YES! I know!

Thoughts running through my mind all day yesterday: How am I going to do this? The farthest I've gone is 4.5 miles. I've only raised like $1400 total so far. ONLY 6 WEEKS LEFT!!! AHHHHHH!

Then Monday evening as I was packing up my desk (1 1/2 hours after I was supposed to leave work), I received an email from someone that has read my blog. She requested that I post more educational information on Crohn's and colitis. That I share more personal stories. I origanially started this blog as a way to personally track my progress, so the thought of posting other people's stories hadn't occurred to me.

Then as I was driving home I called in for the Team Challenge weekly conference call. The topic: MOTIVATION. The discussion was our team mentors sharing their personal stories, how they or a loved one was diagnosed, why they started participating with the program and how CCFA is a great organization. I cried for about an hour!

Then last night after I get home I logged on to http://www.ccfa.org/ and found a page where patients have posted their stories. I'd like to share that link with you: http://www.ccfacommunity.org/ShareStories.aspx?Page=1#top
Please check it out if you want more information. I've sent out an email to my team members requesting permission to share their stories with all of you. Hopefully I'll be able to do that over my final 6 weeks.

I know my first couple of posts gave an overview of my story. Maybe later, if I feel up to it, I'll give you the ENTIRE story. The details are the hard part.

If you are looking for a reason to donate then imagine a life where hospitalization for long periods of time is not unusual, I was in the hospital for 21 days and my mentors 9 year old for over 40 days. A life where you always have to be close to a restroom - you plan any possible activities by the proximity to a bathroom. I did. Even after surgury, I'm "disease free" but I don't sleep more than about 2 hours on average at a time. I'm in the bathroom at least 3-4 times a night, minimum. Could be more - just depends on what I eat.

We need to find a cure and the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America is working diligently to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment